Peto memorial gardens
The new reading room at Chickerell was dedicated to the memory of Sir Morton Peto. It was presented as a gift to the inhabitants of Chickerell in Oct 1890 by his son, Sir Henry Peto. The reading room was to be managed by a committee appointed by the subscribers, and the building and associated land was to be held in trust.
In September 1973, the reading room was re-opened as part of the Dorset County Library. More info at the National Archive
Brian Bean has been leading a group of volunteers to maintain and improve the Peto Gardens behind the Chickerell Library.
The building was built as the Peto reading rooms
Saturday 10th March 2012
Tree removal to protect wall from self setting Ash
Bush removal to improve entrance
Borders dug over and weeded