Peto memorial gardens

Administrative history:

The new reading room at Chickerell was dedicated to the memory of Sir Morton Peto. It was presented as a gift to the inhabitants of Chickerell in Oct 1890 by his son, Sir Henry Peto. The reading room was to be managed by a committee appointed by the subscribers, and the building and associated land was to be held in trust.

In September 1973, the reading room was re-opened as part of the Dorset County Library. More info at the National Archive

 
Brian Bean has been leading a group of volunteers to maintain and improve the Peto Gardens behind the Chickerell Library.
The building was built as the Peto reading rooms
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Saturday 10th March 2012
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tree removal to protect wall from self setting Ash
 
Before
 
 
After
 
 
 
Bush removal to improve entrance
 
Before
 
 
After
 
 
Borders dug over and weeded